About Deborah Coleman
As a mediator and arbitrator, Deborah Coleman helps parties in conflict resolve their disputes. She also provides professional ethics counsel and representation to lawyers.
In the course of her work as an advocate, counselor and neutral, Deborah has worked with individuals and businesses in many industry sectors, including manufacturing, mining, wholesale distribution, franchising, food and beverage, construction, real estate, banking and finance, insurance, health care, publishing, software development, sports, entertainment, and utilities. She has worked with writers and artists, entrepreneurs, governmental entities and not-for-profit institutions.
- Established Coleman Law LLC in 2013.
- Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 1976 to 2013.
As an independent professional with Coleman Law LLC, Deborah is well positioned to serve those who need her help as an arbitrator, mediator, or legal counsel.
Deborah was the first woman partner of the business law firm where she worked for over 35 years, and the firm’s Ethics Partner. Her litigation and counseling practice focused on antitrust, intellectual property and technology. Her experience included the litigation of insurance disputes, bankruptcy adversary proceedings, public law cases, and a variety of commercial disputes.
- Admitted to Ohio Bar, 1976; Sixth and Federal Circuits; the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators.
- The Best Lawyers in America® , Alternative Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, 2008-17; “Lawyer of the Year– Arbitration”, 2014.
- Ohio Super Lawyers® , Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2004-17.
- John C. & Virginia Elam Award for Pro Bono Work, Ohio State Bar Association, 2013.
- Hon. William K. Thomas Professionalism Award, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, 2007.
- "Cleveland's Most Influential Women," Crain's Cleveland Business, 1997.
- AV® Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell.
- American Bar Association: Chair, ABA Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility (1997-1998), Member (1993-1998); Dispute Resolution Section; Litigation Section; Center for Professional Responsibility; Editor in Chief, Conflict Management (2002-04).
- Ohio Supreme Court Task Force on Rules of Professional Conduct: Member, 2003-06.
- Ohio State Bar Association: Antitrust Section Board of Governors (1985-93); Co-Chair, Twentieth Annual Antitrust Institute (1986); Co-Editor, Antitrust News (1991-93).
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: Member, Board of Trustees (2007-2008); Chair, ADR Section (2010-11), Member (2000-present); Chair, Judicial Selection Committee (2007), Member (2000-present); Chair, Professional Ethics Committee (1993-94), Member (1986-present); Court Rules Committee (2009-present).
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1976.
- Harvard University, A.B., magna cum laude 1973.
Born in Chicago, Ill. Grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Current Community Involvement
Deborah is an active community volunteer. Her current commitments include
- Chair of the Judicial Candidates Rating Coalition, the sponsor of Judge4Yourself.com, a service that rates judicial candidates;
- Volunteer lawyer accepting referrals from the Legal Aid Society of Cleveland;
- United Way of Greater Cleveland, Education Impact Team.
- Verb Ballets Advisory Board Member.
- Community Relations Committee of the Jewish Federation of Cleveland.